The biggest decision of choosing a paediatrician for baby is taken before his birth. Most parents are unaware of the exact time to choose a paediatrician. A paediatrician should be engaged to diagnose an expectant mother before the baby is due. This ensures baby’s health condition is sound or not.
A paediatrician is a doctor who manages the health of child providing preventive medical care for healthy children who have short-term and long-term sickness. He diagnoses and treats physical, emotional and mental behaviour or illness from minor to serious problems. Babies, children, adolescents and young adults from birth to age 21 visit a paediatrician to treat any abnormalities. Paediatrician reduce infant and child mortality, control infectious disease, ease the difficulties with chronic conditions. They detect any early signs of abnormalities and disorders and prevent them to multiply. Behavioural difficulties, developmental disorders, social stresses, depression, or anxiety disorders in children are being treated by paediatricians.
Education to be a paediatrician
Paediatricians after graduating from medical school complete 3 years of education in an accredited paediatric residency program which emphasizes health care of infant, child, adolescent and young adult. After completing residency program a paediatrician is eligible for board certification by the American Board of Paediatrician. The certification can be renewed in every 7years. Thus, an extra 6 years of training is needed after finishing medical degree.
What does paediatrician do?
Paediatrician diagnoses babies from birth to teen years. To check thoroughly paediatrician will-
- Examine babies by doing appropriate physical tests.
- Giving vaccinations to child.
- Checking milestones in growth, behaviour, and skills.
- Giving parents information about baby’s health, nutrition, and fitness needs.
- Referring to other specialists if needed.
How to choose a paediatrician?
Following are some tips which are essential to keep in mind during choosing a paediatrician.
- Only board-certified paediatrician should be chosen.
- Discussing about the fact with family and friends is fruitful at times. Their shared views will help one parent to choose a paediatrician more easily.
- Location of paediatric clinic is very important. Parents like the clinic which is in walking distance from their home or place of work. This is useful at the time of emergency.
- Hospital paediatrician accessories and facilities should be checked before deciding one paediatrician. During emergencies, at least, they can assist one’s child immediately with the facilities.
With the emergence of the internet, the choice of a paediatrician has become an easy task. The reviews have an important role in this regard and you can go on to choose one as per your budget. In addition to this you can rely on the word of mouth or references.
Top paediatrician in India
There are many established paediatricians available in India those are working their hard and soul for well-being of the children and their parents. They also ushered with appreciation for their helping nature towards their patients. They get extreme satisfaction by partnering with the parents and concentrating upon their children to get well soon. This concept of parents choosing a paediatrician to work with for their children adds a new dimension to the whole process and is generally called Paediatrician Dynamic. This concept of serving others publicly as well as learning constantly and growing new experience is the most wonderful part of being a paediatrician.